Friday 29 June 2012

Dream Pop Genre

Some of you reader might be wondering, what is dream pop? Why I am here? Why sky is blue?
And well here I am, I will answer one of these questions.
Basically dream pop is a subgenre of alternative rock originated in the United Kingdom in the mid-1980s (yay for UK! And yay for crazy 1980s!) All thanks to bands like The Passions (I will be talking about them in my next article), Dif Juz, Lowlife and A.R. Kane, they began fusing post-punk and ethereal experiments with bitter sweet pop melodies into dreamy, sensual soundscapes (sugar, spice and everything nice these are the ingredients to make perfect Dream Pop). The essence of the music is a focus on ethereal textures and moods, rather than on propulsive rock riffs. Breathy, high-register female vocals or almost whispered male vocals are usually the means of lyrical delivery; lyrics are generally introspective and existential in nature. Cover art tends to consist of blurry pastel imagery or stark minimalist designs, or a combination of these two styles.
And as some of you might all ready know,  a louder, more aggressive strain of dream pop came to be known as shoegazing (That makes shoegazing baby of dream pop I guess). I bet you will see some of shoegazing talk in my blog, because a lot of bands that are Dream Pop actually are shoegazing too.
Off course this is not the end of dream pop history, there are a lot of talk, bands and albums from the 1980s to early 1990s, from 1990s to early 2000s and from 2000s to now (I bet you are most familiar with bands from this period of time)
In my next article as I said before I will be talking about The Passions and their album Thirty Thousand Feet Over China.

Keep dreaming readers

No comments:

Post a Comment